Below is the link for the financial statements for Kohl’s Corporation for the 2010 fiscal year ending January 29, 2011. Under the term Groupings Filter, change the term All Forms to Annual Filings using the drop-down arrow and press Search.
You should then scroll down and select the 10k dated 3/18/2011 and choose to download in Word or PDF format.
Below is the link for the financial statements for J.C. Penney Corporation for the 2010 fiscal year ending January 29, 2011. Under the term Groupings Filter, change the term All Forms to Annual Filings using the drop-down arrow and press Search.
You should then scroll down and select the 10k dated 3/29/2011 and choose to download in Word format.
A sample project template is available for download in Doc Sharing. The sample project compares the ratio performance of Tootsie Roll and Hershey using the 2012 financial statements of Tootsie Roll and Hershey provided at their websites.
Your final Excel workbook submission should contain the following. You cannot use any software but Excel to complete this project.
1. A completed worksheet title page tab, which is really a cover sheet with your name, the course, the date, your instructor’s name, and the title for the project
2. A completed worksheet profiles tab, which contains a one-paragraph description regarding each company with information about their histories, what products they sell, where they are located, and so on
3. All 16 ratios for each company with the supporting calculations and commentary on your worksheet ratio tab. Supporting calculations must be shown either as formulas or as text typed into different cells. The ratios are listed further down this document. Your comments for each ratio should include more than just a definition of the ratio. You should focus on interpreting each ratio number for each company and support your comments with the numbers found in the ratios.
4. The Summary and Conclusions worksheet tab, which is an overall comparison of how each company compares in terms of the major category of ratios described in Chapter 13 of your textbook. A nice way to conclude is to state which company you think is the better investment and why.
5. The Bibliography worksheet tab must contain at least your textbook as a reference. Any other information you use to profile the companies should also be cited as a reference.
Required Ratios for Final Project Submission
1. Earnings per Share of Common Stock
- Current Ratio
- Gross Profit Margin
- Rate of Return on Sales (Net Profit Margin)
- Inventory Turnover
- Days’ Inventory Outstanding (DIO)
7. Accounts Receivable Turnover
8. Days’ Sales Outstanding (DSO)
- Asset Turnover
- Rate of Return on Total Assets (ROA)
- Debt Ratio
- Times Interest Earned Ratio
- Dividend Yield (For the purposes of this ratio, use Yahoo Finance to look up current dividend yield and stock price; just note the date that you looked up this information.)
- Rate of Return on Common Stockholders’ Equity (ROE)
- Free Cash Flow
- Price/Earnings Ratio (Multiple) (For the purpose of this ratio, for both Kohl’s and J.C. Penney, use the market price per share on January 31, 2011.)