In this weekâ€™s readings, the authors discuss emotional intelligence, a concept which measures peopleâ€™s ability to understand emotions and express them appropriately. As you have learned, this ability is crucial to communicating effectively in interpersonal relationships. One of the major components of emotional intelligence is the ability to empathize with others.
Prepare: As you prepare to write this discussion post, take a few moments to do the following:
- Read the writing prompt below in its entirety. Notice that there are three tasks:
- Based on what youâ€™ve learned in Chapter 8, start formulating a definition of empathy and consider why it is important in effective communication.
- Brainstorm some examples of times when you had difficulties empathizing with others.
- Think of some ways you could have handled the situation differently.
- Review the grading rubric.
Reflect: Take time to reflect on why empathy is so important in becoming better communicators. Consider how we might become more empathetic.
Write: Based on the information in Chapter 8 in the text:
- Define empathy and explain why it is important for effective communication.
- Share an example of a time when you found it difficult to empathize with someone. How did you handle the situation?
- What could you have done differently to empathize with them? Consider what youâ€™ve learned in class this week.
Thoroughly address all three elements of this prompt by writing at least two to three sentences on each element. Use the course readings at least once to help you make your points.
minimum word count 250 words
*** must be original work ___ no plagaris,