- VanMeter, K. C., & Hubert, R. J. (2014). Gould’s pathophysiology for the health professions. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Saunders. ISBN 13-978-1455754113
- Chapter 20 Neoplasms and Cancer
- Chapter 21 Congenital and Genetic Disorders
- Chapter 22 Complications of Pregnancy
Consider the material that was presented this week. Find a research article related to topics found in Chapters 20, 21, or 22. Title your post with the Chapter number and the topic. For this discussion post, you should provide a strong (5-6 sentences per paragraph with citations and a purpose statement) two-paragraph explanation of the topic and then introduce your article. Please use the following ten questions to critique your research article. The ten questions need to be incorporated into the discussion, and be presented in APA format following the introduction of your article. The last paragraph should be a conclusion tying all the content together. This discussion post will be longer than what most would consider to be a normal length post, so please make sure that you are answering all the questions and providing the information that is required. Please review the rubric as well.
Article Critique Criteria:
- Author, Year, Title, Journal
- Purpose of the article: research, theoretical, program implementation
- From what discipline was the literature review drawn?
- What were the gaps, issues, purposes identified from the synthesis of the literature?
- What design and methods were used for the purpose of the project?
- Were the sample, size, and setting (or choice of articles) adequate for the project?
- What were the findings and conclusions?
- What are the implications for future research?
- How could the information in this article be applied to advanced nursing practice?
- Would you recommend this article to others as an example to add to the understanding of this information?
Use the questions to help develop subheadings for each section and then write a complete paragraph (4-5 sentences) where possible.For example:Top of page one should be an APA formatted referenceSubheading – Article PurposeSubheading – Discipline of literatureSubheading – Gaps, Issues PurposesSubheading – MethodsSubheading – Sample Size and SettingSubheading – Findings and ConclusionsSubheading -Implications for future researchSubheading- Application to Advanced PracticeSubheading -RecommendationReferences
Discussion Question Rubric
Note: Scholarly resources are defined as evidence-based practice, peer-reviewed journals; textbook (do not rely solely on your textbook as a reference); and National Standard Guidelines. Review assignment instructions, as this will provide any additional requirements that are not specifically listed on the rubric.
Discussion Question Rubric – 100 PointsCriteriaExemplaryExceeds ExpectationsAdvancedMeets ExpectationsIntermediateNeeds ImprovementNoviceInadequateTotal PointsQuality of Initial PostProvides clear examples supported by course content and references.
Cites three or more references, using at least one new scholarly resource that was not provided in the course materials.
All instruction requirements noted.
40 pointsComponents are accurate and thoroughly represented, with explanations and application of knowledge to include evidence-based practice, ethics, theory, and/or role. Synthesizes course content using course materials and scholarly resources to support importantpoints.