You will be required to identify a topic related to youth development that is of particular interest to you. Use the course objectives listed in the syllabus to identify your area of interest. (below)
Course Objectives Stated in Performance Terms:
1. The student will demonstrate an understanding of developmental stages for youth from birth to age 15 by:
a. describing developmental issues of various stages of youth development.
b. distinguishing the age-related cognitive, physical, and psycho-social changes.
c. identifying the ethnic, cultural, and racial factors that influence youth development.
d. recognizing the effects of genetic and environmental influences on youth development.
e. recognizing the lifelong impacts of ACE, Adverse Childhood Experiences
2. The student will demonstrate an understanding of the effects of racism, classism, sexism, and adultism by:
a developing an awareness and understanding of cultural diversity (the culture of different races, social classes, different age groups and the opposite gender).
b. identifying and dispelling myths and misconceptions about minorities, youth, gender, and class.
c. identifying and recognizing the effects of racism, classism, sexism, and adultism in America.
d. describing the impact of economic deprivation on children’s behavior.
e. defining racism, classism, sexism, and adultism.
f. describing the social and economic forces that impact disadvantaged children’s behavior.
3. The student will demonstrate an understanding needed to advance conflict resolution, self-directness, and tolerance for diversity by:
a. defining the components of diversity.
b. describing the major ethnic groups that reside in Pinellas County.
c. describing the County’s demographics per age, gender, income, and ethnicity.
d. comparing and contrasting culture differences.
e. identifying and recognizing bias, and accepting differences.
f. defining the basic types of conflicts and methods of conflict resolution.
g. describing effective self-disclosure.
4. The student will demonstrate an understanding of the effects of exclusion and inclusion on behavior by:
a. describing and identifying each developmental stage and the associated developmental tasks.
b. describing the role of social services in the developmental stages.
c. identifying the developmental stage theories.
d. identifying the impact of membership, acceptance, and inclusion on children’s behavior at different developmental stages.
e. identifying the impact of rejection and exclusion on children’s behavior at different developmental stages.
5. The student will develop an awareness of his/her need to be physically and mentally healthy, sensitive, and flexible in order to be an effective social service professional by:
a. defining appropriate physical and mental status.
b. describing effects of poor physical and mental status on performance.
c. identifying and modeling appropriate sensitivity and flexibility essential for Human Services professionals.
6. The student will demonstrate knowledge of the qualities of effective communication skills by:
a. differentiating between verbal and non-verbal communication.
b. List methods for improving communication.
c. List common barriers to communication.
d. defining the basic types of conflict.
e. defining the skills necessary for effective conflict resolution.