HRMG 5920 Midterm
1. The term “ sore thumbing” when applied to the job evaluation process relates to
a. A profile that is too high
b. A very low rating score
c. A rating that appears to be inappropriate
d. Physical problems related to the job
2. Which of the four are the four “universal compensable factors”?
Skill, effort, responsibility, working conditions
3. The measurement of the physical or mental exertion needed for performance of a job
d. Working conditions
4. This entails a series of judgments, under uncertainty, that companies direct toward achieving specific goals
a. Job analysis
b. Strategic management
c. Scientific management
d. Strategic planning
5. Which of the following sections of a job description permits quick and easy identification as to whether or not the job is exempt or nonexempt relative to the requirements established under FSLA.
a. Job summary
b. Job duties
c. Job title
d. Job status
6. Universal compensable factors are derived from which federal act?
a. Civil Rights Act of 1963
b. American with Disabilities Act
c. Fair Labor Standards Act
d. Equal Pay Act
7. Job evaluation is
a. Measuring an employee’s performance
b. The process of deciding the relative importance of one job as compared to another
c. The extent to which a job description fits the actual tasks of the job
d. Management’s evaluation of the effectiveness of the job
8. What describes the consolidation of a number of existing salary ranges into a single wider pay grade?
a. Pay structure
b. Job segregation
c. Market line
9. Determine Compensation professionals are compensable factors to whether jobs are the same, in order to comply with which federal legislation?
a. Equal Pay Act of 1963
b. Davis-Bacon Act of 1931
c. Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938
d. Civil Rights Act of 1964
10. A job evaluation program servers all but which of the following purposes for an organization?
a. Establishes grounds for firing
b. Assists in establishing an equitable and competitive pay structure
c. Identifies promotional opportunities
d. Orders jobs based on worth
11. A step by step description of how to perform work activities
a. Performance Standards
b. Job analysis
c. Job description
d. Standard Operating Procedures
12. What are an employee’s skills, efforts, responsibilities, and the working conditions of a job site labeled?
a. Commendable factors
b. Compensable factors
c. Competency factors
d. Compensational factors
13. This occurs whenever an employer applies an employment practice to all employees, but the practice leads to unequal treatment of protected employee groups.
a. Disparate treatment
b. Discriminatory treatment
c. Discriminatory impact
d. Disparate impact
14. One or more tasks performed to carry out a job responsibility.
15. Which of the following statements BEST describes compensable factors?
a. Statement that define the specific attributes of a particular job most precisely
b. Physical working conditions surrounding a job
c. Relatively abstract and complex qualities and features that relate to all kinds of jobs
d. Skills used in solving growth related problems in jobs
16. Passage of this Act requires compensation professionals to demonstrate that alleged discriminatory pay practices are a business necessity.
a. Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938
b. Equal Pay Act of 1938
c. Civil Rights Act of 1991
d. Davis-Bacon Act of 1931
17. The historical era in US History which created the need for the implementation of human resource strategies as we know today was the
World War II
18. The extent to which an employer depends on the employee to perform the job as expected, with emphasis on the importance of the job obligation.
c. Working conditions
19. The Factor Evaluation System includes ________ compensable factors
20. Which of the following is the most commonly used method of job evaluation?
a. Market pricing
b. Factor comparison
c. Point factor
21. Which unit of analysis in the job analysis process is the smallest?
22. A major barrier facing the implementation of an effective job analysis program is
a. Cannot be kept current
b. Has limited usefulness
c. requires considerable time of all parties
d. Must meet rigid federal guidelines
23. One of the first documents an employee should be asked to complete in the job analysis process is
a. List of tasks
b. Working conditions
c. Knowledge and skill requirements to perform job assignments
d. Organization chart identifying supervisor they report to and their reporting subordinates
24. Which of the following are not covered under the Fair Labor Standards Act?
a. Minimum wage
b. Child labor provisions
c. Overtime wage rates
d. Fringe benefits
25. When performing a job analysis, one component of a job which should be thoroughly researched is essential job functions. This is important when determining an individual’s ability to perform the job under the
a. Occupational Safety and Health Act
b. Fair Labor Standards Act
c. American with Disabilities Act
d. Equal Pay Act
26. In addition to the incumbent, the best individual (or party) to contact to clarify task statements is
a. Human resource subject-matter analyst
b. Immediate Supervisor
c. Manager of unit
d. Grievance specialist
27. Knowledge, responsibilities, and conditions within which a job is performed.
a. Employment standards
c. Performance standards
28. Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) the current federal minimum wage for covered exempt employee is
29. The physical surroundings and hazards of a job, including dimenstions such as inside v. outside work, excessive heat or cold, fumes, and other factors relating to poor ventilation
d. Working conditions
30. Which of the following is a goal of a compensation department?
a. To recognize individual contributions
b. Market competitiveness
c. Internal equity
d. All of the above
31. This refers to the pay relationships among different jobs/ skills/ competencies within a single organization
a. Internal consistency
b. External; equity
c. External competitiveness
d. Internal equity
32. Any kind of action, movement, or behavior required of an incumbent to perform job assignments
33. Broadbanding is characterized by all but which of the following?
a. Teamwork over individual contributions
b. Increased number of targeted pay grades
c. Fewer, larger salary ranges
d. Flatter, less hierarchical corporation structures
34. The most heavily weighted factor in the Factor Evaluation System is
b. Knowledge required
d. Problem solving
35. Basic units of knowledge and skills employees must acquire or demonstrate in order to perform work assignments successfully
36. The four criteria used to determine exempt/nonexemopt status of an employee under FLSA are
a. Professional, Administrative, Executive, Computer-Related
b. Permanent, Administrative, Executive, Clerical
c. Permanent, Administrative, Executive, Computer-Related
d. Professional, Executive, Supervising, Clerical
37. There are at least as many _______as there are incumbents.
38. A coordinated series of work activities used to produce an identifiable and definable output which can be consumed or used.
39. Which method is the most effective way to collect a wide array of job content data in a relatively short period of time?
40. A critical component of both compensation and selections systems which define in writing the responsibilities, requirement, functions, duties, location, environment, conditions and other aspects of jobs
a. Job evaluations
b. Job analyses
c. Job structures
d. Job descriptions
41.It is stated “the safest definition of compensable factors is that of the US Department of Labor.” Defend this statement.
42. Describe some ways in which an organization can utilize a job description.
43. Why is it important for all employees to understand the meaning of compensation?
44. What is meant by internal equity? What is the relationship between internal equity and-job evaluation?
45. How can job analyses be use d to strengthen the legal standing of a company ?
Looking for a similar assignment? Our writers will offer you original work free from plagiarism. We follow the assignment instructions to the letter and always deliver on time. Be assured of a quality paper that will raise your grade. Order now and Get a 15% Discount! Use Coupon Code "Newclient"
Also posted onMay 10, 2020 @ 3:12 pm