gender and family conscious career counseling 1
Application: Gender- and Family-Conscious Career Counseling
Gender has wide-ranging effects on career counselingâ€”from influencing peopleâ€™s career choices to institutionalized discrimination that has resulted in disparities in salary, prestige, and benefits for men and women. Family life is also significant in how it supports or limits the opportunities and priorities that individuals may have with regard to career options.
Counselors need to examine and reflect on their own gender-based beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors, while also being conscious of how gender may be influencing their clientsâ€™ choices. They also need to be conscious of how their own ideas about the role of family and the meaning of work-life balance may influence their approach to counseling clients.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review the weekâ€™s Learning Resources. Focus on the case examples of Maria and Richard, on pp. 515â€“517.
- Think about the similarities and differences in the daily lives of Maria and Richard and the role that gender expectations, bias, and discrimination, as well as the role that family life, may play in each scenario.
- Reflect on how a counselor might engage in a holistic approach to career counseling with Maria and Richard using one of the following holistic approaches: Self-Efficacy Beliefs (p. 92), Learned Optimism (pp. 93â€“94), Planned Happenstance (pp. 94-95), or Positive Uncertainty (pp. 96â€“99). Consider how a counselor would honor each individualâ€™s unique needs while also being conscious of how expectations, bias, and/or discrimination related to gender and family life may influence them.
The assignment: (1â€“2 pages)
- Explain how you would work with Maria and Richard using one of the following holistic approaches: Self-Efficacy Beliefs (p. 92), Learned Optimism (pp. 93â€“94), Planned Happenstance (pp. 94â€“95), or Positive Uncertainty (pp. 96â€“99).
- Analyze each case (Mariaâ€™s and Richardâ€™s) in terms of the influence of gender and family life on their career decisions and development.
Support your Application assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course.