Idaho State University Sociology Paper
For your final paper you should choose a real world social problem. It can be anything that you would like but possible choices include
· The January 6th riot and the storming of the Capitol.
· Riots during the summer of 2020
· Municipalities’ use court fines and fees to generate income in the face of losses in state and federal funding. (Think of Ferguson, MO).
· Spread of far-right wing movements in US and internationally (Golden Dawn in Greece, British National Party in England, the National Front Party in France, BJP in India).
· The increase in the rate of mass shootings.
· Rising social inequality within the United States
· The increase in student loan debt.
· The refugee crisis in Europe.
· The refugee crisis in Mexico and Central America.
· If you choose another topic, please run it by me so that you will be able to find enough information.
1. You need to describe the problem and provide some background on the problem.
2. You should apply at least 2 modern theoretical perspectives to the problem. How would the theorist explain what is happening?
3. Describe the strengths and weaknesses of each of the theoretical approaches.
In the description of the problem, you should have at least 5 sources. Please be sure that these are high quality sources (Raw Story, Brietbart News and the Dudge Report don’t qualify.). Please ask me if you aren’t sure about the quality of a source.
For your source on the application of theory, you can use the textbook as one source. You should also seek out works by the theorists and critical analyses of the theorists’ work. Let me know if you are having any issues finding this material.
This paper should be at least 6 pages in length. It should be written in 11 point Arial or Helvetica and double spaced with normal 1 inch margins. Please refer to https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/asa_style/references_page_formatting.html and https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/asa_style/in_text_citation_references.html for information on reference page formatting and citing references.
for guidance in formatting your paper.