Professional Associations and Competencies
Using the Internet, research a professional association that provides training and development for consultants. You may choose any association that relates to your niche area within organizational consulting. Select an association from the list in the unit readings or find one that might interest you.
Just to clarify: An association in this context is limited to membership organizations whose primary function is to serve the needs of their members and does not include for-profit consultant groups.
Address the following questions:
- What is the purpose of the association?
- What offerings are provided (training, mentoring, networking, and resources)?
- ?Which specific training, networking, or other benefits that you found on the website would be most useful to you based on your interests or your future potential work?
- ?How will this organization help you with your own skill or competency development?
You will connect these competencies to what you hope to gain from this course, which is key to ensuring that your learning suits your needs. In this discussion, you are asked to think about your goals for this course. We will follow up on this in the week 10 assignment with questions that ask you to reflect on what you have learned and craft a plan to develop further in the competencies you have identified.
For Part 2 of this discussion, address the following:
- What characteristics do you possess that will contribute to your work as a consultant?
- What strengths, among the consulting competencies and skills, do you bring to consultation work?
- What skills will you need to develop? Please speak from your own niche area or specialization that you hope to have in consulting in the future.
- What might you do to develop skills and competencies to lead to a successful consulting practice, using the information you gathered from the interviews with expert consultants and the class discussion of psychology-based professional associations?
Cite references from the assigned readings as well as at least one other scholarly resource to support your views.Some references
Block, P. (2011). Flawless consulting: A guide to getting your expertise used (3rd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Organization Development Network. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.odnetwork.org/
- SHRM. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.shrm.org/pages/default.aspx
- Society for Industrial & Organizational Psychology (SIOP). (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.siop.org/