review questions 25
Ethics Review Questions
1. What are the main branches of Philosophy? Distinguish them from each other.
2. Give 3 examples each of metaphysical, epistemological and ethical questions.
3. What is a morally permissible act? How is this different from an obligatory act? An impermissible act? A supererogatory act? Might a supererogatory act be morally impermissible?
4. What is moral objectivism? How is it different from moral subjectivism? Who is a moral relativist? How is she different from a moral conventionalist? Is a genuine moral disagreement possible with moral relativism? Explain.
5. Who is an amoralist? How is he different from the moralist and the immoralist? Might a nihilist be a moralist? Explain.
6. Who are the Sophists? Name three Sophists. What are their individual claims? What are the similarities between their views? What are the differences?
7. Is Socrates a Sophist? What about Plato? Explain fully.
8. Would Socrates agree that â€˜man is the measure of all things?â€™ If not, what would be the measure of all things for him? Explain.
9. Describe Platoâ€™s notion of the Self (human soul). Explain its structural similarities and differences to his notion of the ideal state. Who is an ideal person for Plato?
10. In Platoâ€™s ideal state, explain the different roles performed by its various groups and or classes. Do you agree with Platoâ€™s view of the philosopher-king?