https://proficientwritershub.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/onlinelogomaker-012722-1716-5353-2000-transparent-300x61.png 0 0 Onesmus Patrick https://proficientwritershub.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/onlinelogomaker-012722-1716-5353-2000-transparent-300x61.png Onesmus Patrick2022-08-03 11:21:482022-08-03 11:21:48Sociology Minimum Wage Discussion
Sociology Minimum Wage Discussion
I’m working on a sociology discussion question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
Read the following article Nickel & Dimed, and consider the way minimum wage workers are treated, and your own experiences with minimum wage work in our society.
- Compare several types of social mobility.
- Describe the U.S. class structure.
- Part I.Minimum wage workers often report feeling invisible. Where do you encounter minimum wage workers? What sorts of services do they provide? Have you ever worked in a low-wage job? If so, what was your experience?Part II.After reading the article, answer the following questions:
- Why do you think low-wage workers are reluctant to form labor organizations as Ehrenreich discovered in her experiences? How do you think employees should lobby to improve working conditions?
- Ehrenreich found that she could not survive on $7.00 per hour — not if she wanted to live indoors. Consider how her experiment would have played out in your community: Find out what the minimum wage of your state is and limiting yourself to that hourly wage, create a hypothetical monthly budget for your part of the country. Is it possible to live off of that income? What does it mean in our society to “live comfortably”?
Slide 1 of 2