University of Phoenix Development of Addiction Prevention Paper
This week’s topics cover the development of addiction prevention approaches, as well as models used to explain addiction causation. This content frames dependency and addiction counseling with meaningful context for additional concepts and skills you will acquire throughout the course. In this assignment, you will prepare for these concepts and skills by reviewing what you’ve learned about the history and etiology of substance abuse and addiction.
Write a 700- to 1,050-word summary of theories related to the etiology of substance abuse and addiction. Respond to the following prompts in your summary:
- Describe the biological influences related to substance abuse.
- Explain the psychological and emotional variables that influence addiction.
- Explain the role of factors related to ethnicity, gender, and socioeconomic status in the development of addiction.
- Describe how the etiological theories and issues related to substance abuse and addiction have changed over time.
- Describe how these theories differ between substance-related and process addictions.