Assignment 2: Learning Activity 2—Analysis of a Profiling Case
Over the years, many famous cases have demonstrated how criminal profiling can be used to assist with an investigation. For this assignment, complete the following:
- Choose any one case such as the following well known criminal cases:
- The case of David Berkowitz (Son of Sam)
- The case of Ted Bundy
Using the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and Internet resources, research the chosen case. Respond to the following questions:
- Describe the information that was gathered about the perpetrator or offender. This could include the profiler’s conclusions regarding the offender’s mental, emotional, and personality characteristics as well as age, gender, ethnicity, and geographic location.
- Describe what sources the investigator used, what patterns of behavior were identified, and what information was given to law enforcement. State if the information that law enforcement received is correct.
- Analyze if the profile was accurate and if it did assist or hinder in the investigation.
- Explain what factors led to the accuracy or inaccuracy of the profile.
Support your responses giving reasons and examples from 2–4 scholarly resources.
Write a 2 to 3 page paper in a Microsoft Word document. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Your paper should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- By Wednesday, April 30, 2014, save your paper as M4_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc and submit it to the M4 Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Described the information that was gathered about the perpetrator, such as the profiler conclusions regarding the offender’s mental, emotional and personality characteristics, age, gender, ethnicity, and geographic location.||
|Described what sources the investigator used, patterns of behavior identified, and the information given to law enforcement.||
|Stated if the information that law enforcement received was correct.||
|Analyzed if the profile was accurate and if it did assist or hinder in the investigation.||
|Explained what factors led to the accuracy of the profile.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||