Analyzing Theoretical Paradigms through Media Stereotypes Blog Essay
One of the goals of this course is to get you to think like a sociologist. Sociologists master the 4 sociological paradigms: symbolic interaction, functionalist, conflict, and cultural materialism.
This week each student will create a blog post. The assignment challenges you to apply the theoretical paradigms as you identify examples of stereotypes in the media about cooking, food, eating, dieting, etc
Locate 2-3 examples to analyze media stereotypes using one of the paradigms listed above.
Refer to the directions below to complete your Media Stereotype blog post
1. Media selection
- Peruse media such as news outlets, magazines, commercials, or social media sites for examples of stereotypes.
- Steer away from personal examples that you may find on social media platforms. This assignment challenges you to identify examples of “mass media” using stereotypes.
- Identify 2-3 examples
2. Write a blog post
- Share a link, image or “screen grab” for the reader to reference
- Briefly analyze each sample using one of the 4 paradigms ( symbolic interaction, functionalist, conflict, and cultural materialism)
- 2-3 paragraphs length
- clearly identify the paradigm
- When possible, include a link and/or include citations for references you use