bhe226 health advocacy campaigns discussion question mod 4
We explored different ways of influencing policymakers through a number of forms of letter writing in this course. For this discussion, you will explore other ways of working with campaigns. As a health advocate, it is important to assist candidates who support your issues to help bring about the desired change. There are a number of different ways you can help contribute during the process. Address the following in your discussions:
- How can you assist a campaign with a similar health agenda as your own? Provide examples as part of your discussion.
- What responsibility(s) AND what competency(s) of a Health Education Specialist does assisting a campaign fall under? Explain your choices.
- Discussion RequirementsActive participation in all discussions is required.
- The discussions are important! Approximately 23% of your final grade is based on them.
- Post comments at least 3 times during each module, at least 2 days apart.
- Your comments will be graded on how well they meet each of the criteria on the Discussion Grading Rubric linked under Assessments. Review the rubric to see what is expected for an excellent discussion, in order to earn full credit.
- Review some resources to help you synthesize your viewpoint (i.e., Sullivan, J. (2011). Strategies for synthesis writing. Retrieved from http://www.findingdulcinea.com/features/edu/Strategies-for-Synthesis-Writing.html)
Initial post for each module discussion:
- At the beginning of each module, address the discussion topic, making sure to meet all of the criteria on the rubric.
- A substantive comment should be approximately 200 words or more.
- Cite sources within your comment to support your statements.
- Include at least one reference, properly formatted, not just a link.
Second post for each module discussion:
- Read the initial comments posted by your classmates and reflect upon them.
- Formulate one new comment of your own. It must be a logical and thoughtful response that synthesizes the comments of at least 3 classmates into one comment. Be sure to synthesize; do not simply reply to each of the 3 classmates.
- If the class is small, your professor will appropriately adjust the second post requirements.
- NOTE: You are not required to cite sources and include a reference list for the second post if it is simply your opinion. However, if your opinion is based on facts (as it should be), it is good practice to strengthen your position by citing sources.
- Be sure to meet all of the criteria on the rubric, as noted in the instructions above.
Third post for each module discussion:
- Read the initial and secondary comments posted by your classmates and reflect upon them.
- Directly respond to at least one classmate in a way that extends meaningful discussions, adds new information, and/or offers alternative perspectives.