Capella University Ethical Decision Making Models Discussion
Ethical decision-making models guide counselors through a structured process to address ethical or legal challenges that arise in the course of their professional practices. These models can help avoid making hasty decisions based upon first impressions that may lead a counselor to make ethical mistakes. When faced with an ethical or legal dilemma, a counselor is vulnerable to acting on his or her own biases or closely held values rather than taking in a broader perspectives.
Select two decision-making models discussed in the readings for this unit or introduced on page 14 of your Ethical, Legal, and Professional Issues in Counseling text. Address the following:
- Compare how the models guide counselors to seek additional information and consider broader points of view.
- Describe how one of the models could be particularly helpful in your future career setting (school or mental health).
Cite specific course readings or other scholarly sources to support your analysis.
Follow current APA style and formatting guidelines in your post.
Respond to the initial discussion post of one other learner. What reactions do you have to the ideas the learner has presented? Include examples from your own experience to support your perspective, and raise questions to continue the dialogue.
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
- Read how a counselor’s personal values impact ethical decision making.
- Explore ethical-decision making models in addressing specific counseling scenarios.
- Determine the proper application of APA formatting requirements.
- Develop communication appropriate for professional counseling settings.