You will identify a topic area and develop a problem- or issue-related topic within that area of interest. As you develop this specific topic, keep in mind that your eventual goal is to formulate and present a solution to the healthcare issue or problem you identify.
Your topic proposal should include the following items and address the following:
Describe the topic you wish to pursue.
- It may be somewhat broad at this point and it may imply a problem. Use the resources in your course materials to help you search for ideas.
Identify your purpose: Why are you interested in this topic? (Narrow your topic.)
- Specifically explain what it is that fascinates you or draws you to this topic.
- Clearly describe the topic’s relevance in the field today.
- Identify a purpose for a paper on this topic:
- What might you accomplish in exploring this problem?
- What is your intended goal?
- To evoke change
- To make new connections (new cause and effect)
- To introduce a new theory, solution, or idea
- Is this goal realistic?
Identify a problem within the topic and draft a problem statement. (It will likely evolve and be revised as you progress through your research.)
- Identify a problem related to your topic and state it.
- The problem statement should be specific and indicate the focus of your final paper.
- Not too narrow, not too broad
- Intellectually challenging (a simple solution is not apparent)
- Who would benefit from a solution to this problem (who is the target population)?
Your paper should be 2 pages. Adhere to APA Style throughout.