To prepare: Watch the TED Talk by Sangu Delle and then review the readings for this week. Focus on Delleâ€™s examples illustrating Corriganâ€™s model about the stages of stigma and the hierarchy of disclosure. Consider Delle’s experience against that model.
Submit a 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Briefly explain Corriganâ€™s model of the stages of stigma and his recommendations and hierarchy about recovery.
- Explain whether Delleâ€™s experience follows that model. Use specific examples to argue your perspective. If you agree, identify which stage of recovery Delle is in.
- Analyze Delleâ€™s reports about his own experiences with both types of stigma. Provide specific examples, and in your analysis consider the following questions:
- Does one type of stigma predominate in his talk?
- Which of Delleâ€™s personal values or beliefs were challenged by his internalizations about his own illness and help-seeking?
- What strengths does he exhibit?
- What was the primary benefit of his diagnosis?
- Do you think his experience would be different if his culture was different? Explain why or why not?
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the weekâ€™s resources.
Corrigan, P. W., & Rao, D. (2012). On the self-stigma of mental illness: Stages, disclosure, and strategies for change. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 57(8), 464â€“469. doi:10.1177/070674371205700804
Laureate Education (Producer). (2018a). Psychopathology and diagnosis for social work practice podcast: Diagnosis, self-stigma, and mental health [Audio podcast]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Looking for a similar assignment? Our writers will offer you original work free from plagiarism. We follow the assignment instructions to the letter and always deliver on time. Be assured of a quality paper that will raise your grade. Order now and Get a 15% Discount! Use Coupon Code "Newclient"
Also posted onJanuary 1, 1970 @ 12:00 am