Unit 2 Assignment
Ethics and Social Responsibility in Business Assignment
In this Assignment you will read the Cengage® Case Study: “Barclays Bank: Banking
on Ethics” and then respond to the checklist items in a critical essay based on the
As a new marketing associate with Barclays Bank, you are tasked with writing a critical
essay summarizing what transpired during the investigation conducted by the United
States Department of Justice into the abuse of the London Interbank Offered Rate
(LIBOR) interest rate regulated by the British Banker’s Administration. This essay, if
chosen by your new employer, will be the report presented to the Board of Directors.
Write a 2–3 page, (not including a title and references page), double spaced, critical essay
responding to the checklist items. For assistance with your Assignment, please use your
textbook and library research resources. The instructions for you to execute this task are
Directions for completing this Assignment:
1. Read the “Barclays Bank: Banking on Ethics” case study.
2. Learn how to write a critical essay: Click Here
3. Use APA format and citation style, provide a title page and references, and do not forget
to use in text citations with their accompanying references so as to avoid plagiarism.
4. In your critical essay that includes your thesis, arguments, support, and conclusion,
respond to the following:
● Describe the level of ethical development the executives at Barclays demonstrated
when manipulating the LIBOR interest rates.
● Did Barclays Bank neglect social responsibility? What could they have done to be
more socially responsible?
● What actions regarding Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) could Barclays have
engaged in after the scandal broke to set things right and ensure that such an event
would not happen again?
● Describe what level of morality would have been demonstrated if executives at
Barclays asked themselves, “Even though manipulating the LIBOR will increase
company profits, is it the right thing to do in the long run?”
● Explain the importance of ethics and social responsibility in marketing as a result of
your case study analysis.