My Health Journal
Write a ½ page journal entry that answers the following questions:
- How does culture play a role in your targeted health behavior? Are there any cultural or spiritual reasons to how you approach health and wellness issues in your own life?
- Have you ever had an experience where your cultural or spiritual beliefs clashed with someone providing health services or health care? Explain.
- Update any progress and challenges relevant to your goal.
- Video: Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Concepts of health promotion: Health promotion and prevention in practice.Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 18 minutes.
Dr. Beilenson begins this media program by describing the types of prevention that are normally used in maintaining health or avoiding disease. Dr. Jeffery Levi provides examples of successful interventions used by various community programs. The other scholars, Dr. Gibson, Dr. Perlman, and Dr. Shaughnessy, explain the concept of evidence based methodologies and interventions. They discuss various aspects of the patient practitioner relationship, including the need for practitioners to be sensitive to the cultural background and spiritual beliefs of their patient.
Note: As a reminder, additional Learning Resources for the week are listed below the Media Player. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the web page to view the complete list of Required and Optional Resources.
- Article: Berry Cabán, C., & Crespo, H. (2008). Cultural competency as a skill for health care providers. Hispanic Health Care International, 6(3), 115 121.
- Article: Blendon, R., Buhr, T., Cassidy, E., Perez, D., Hunt, K., Fleischfresser, C., et al. (2007). Disparities in health: Perspectives of a multi ethnic, multi racial America. Health Affairs, 26(5), 1437–1147.
- Article: Dilworth Anderson, P., Pierre, G., & Hilliard, T. S. (2012). Social Justice, Health Disparities, and Culture in the Care of the Elderly.Journal Of Law, Medicine & Ethics, 40(1), 26 32.
- Article: Dooris, M. (2006). Health promoting settings: future directions. Promotion & Education, 13, 2–4.
- Article: Hill, E. K, Alpi, K. M., & Auerbach, M. (2010). Evidence Based Practice in Health Education and Promotion: A Review and Introduction to Resources. Health Promot Pract, 11, 358 366. First published on January 13, 2009.
- Article: Institute of Medicine. (2002). Who will keep the public healthy? Educating public health professionals for the 21st Century. Retrieved: from http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2003/Who Will Keep the Public Healthy Educating Public Health Professionals for the 21st Century/EducatingPHFINAL.pdf
- Article: Juneau, C. E., Jones, C. M., McQueen, D. V., Potvin, L. (2011). Evidence based health promotion: an emerging field. Global Health Promotion, 18(1), 79–89.
- Article: The Provider’s Guide to Quality & Culture (n.d.). Common Beliefs & Cultural Practices. Retrieved from