This is a “development quiz” to look at the common beliefs that many of us have about typical development and whether they have research support. For each statement, indicate whether your group agrees or disagrees and write down your thoughts regarding the statement. You can copy and paste this into a google doc and work on it or type it directly into the Canvas assignment submission. Please make sure that everyone’s name is on the document.
1) My baby started walking and talking earlier than other babies. I know he will be a smart adolescent.
2) I pick up my baby as soon as she starts to cry, but my mother-in-law thinks I’m going to spoil her.
3) My partner is about to turn 40 and I know he is going to go through a midlife crisis.
4) I’ve just moved out of my parents’ house. I wonder if their marriage will suffer now that I am gone.
5) My son just turned 13 and I’m worried about how our relationship is going to change because adolescence is always a difficult time for parents and children.
6) I’m looking for a partner and my grandmother keeps telling me that opposites attract.
7) I know my grandparents don’t have sex anymore because old people are not interested in sex.
8) My great aunt has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and she acts as if nothing is wrong. This must be unusual for a person in her situation.
9) I want to have only one child, but my partner thinks that only children have problems relating to other children.