In this essay, you are asked to demonstrate your understanding of the different types of culturing and staining procedures discussed in Chapters 3 and 7. You should work on researching and composing this essay over the course of Modules 2 and 3.
Consider the following scenario:
You are given a sputum sample from a patient that may be infected with bacteria from one of the following genera:
For this essay,
- Describe the handing of the specimen and how the infectious agent, in this case a bacterial pathogen, is isolated from the sputum sample.
- Explain techniques used to isolate bacteria from a clinical specimen using the LearnSmart laboratory exercise, “Isolation Methods” as well as Chapter 7 to support your account.
- Discuss how staining techniques may be applied in the identification of an unknown sample.
- Discuss each staining protocol. Mention the steps involved and how each step and each protocol would identify or eliminate each of these genera as a suspect. You may refer to other scientific resources, but they should be in addition to and not in place of the module resources.
- Describe the important anatomical differences among these three genera and the staining protocols you would use to identify which genus is causing the patient’s infection.
Your essay should be approximately 2 pages in length, double spaced in 10 12 point font. Please be sure to cite all sources of information, including the text book, in the essay text and on a reference page using APA format. When you have finished your essay, attach it to the assignment drop box and submit it to your instructor